Diary of Luther M. Fairbank, Co. D — Part 4, 1864

(Thanks to Stan Prager, John Hartwell, and Larry Lowenthal for transcription of this diary.)

Jan’y. ’64

Fri. 1.    The first I knew of this year A. P. Brewer came in and wished me a happy new year at 12 o’clock at midnight, as he waked me up to go on guard; therefore, the first four hours of 1864 I stood guard. I came in at 4 A.M. and went to bed and the next I knew Leana wished me a happy new year, having come in with some milk and mashed potato for my breakfast before I was out of bed. It has been the coldest day I have seen south. It is impossible to keep warm unless one was over the fire, and the cook shanty has been full, pushing and fighting for a sight at the stove.

Sat. 2    I did manage to sleep warm last night by using every rag of clothing and using horse blankets and all, and it seemed hard to crawl out to roll call this morning, but military requires it,therefore it must be done. It was warm a little while in the middle of the day,but cold as ever tonight. I worked for Turner. He paid me 50 cents, as much as U.S. pays me a day.

Sun. 3   Today is the Sabbath but not such as we have at home. I worked in the forenoon for the Sergeant and lay still in the afternoon. It has got so it is quite warm and things are quite comfortable. Lt. E. Sagendorph made us a visit and was merry as could be. Milt told him to leave the tent. Ed says Milt turned him a shoul colder [sic] because he is in a negro regiment. I think Ed the best fellow. Where is Soap pedler [sic] ?

Mon. 4     Another confounded rainy day,it was raining like a good fellow this morning. I was detailed with 150 others to go and clean out a brick yard for quarters. It is about 2 1/2 miles towards the city. We got wet through going down, but we went to work with a will and had the sheds nearly cleaned when one of Gen. Lee’s Staff came and told us we were in the wrong place, so we started for camp mad as wild cats because we had worked all day for nothing. Just the style of the 31st, always ass end to.

Tues. 5     Still raining. Oh, such miserable weather one can hardly stir out without getting all covered with mud from head to foot and wet through, but I was again detailed to go to another brick yard to work and came back to dinner, when another detail went. I pity the horses; they are exposed to the weather. Col. Hopkins can go to Orleans and ride up here in a hack. What does he care about how we are situated? He has good dry quarters. He is a miserable commander, brave in camp, but a coward in the field. I spent the evening up to Leana’s.

Wed. 6     Oh, what a day. It is still raining, a cold drizzling rain. When we got up this morning everything was covered with ice and it has not thawed all day except on the ground, where it is over shoe in mud.

Thurs. 7    Leana came in and woke me up this morning. I dont [sic] know how long I should have slept but for her, as we have no roll call. I am on guard and have a good place under cover, as we have moved the horses to a shelter. We shall probably move the first fair day. We turned in our infantry equipments, no more knapsack inspection. There is no prospect of its ever being fair weather again.

Fri . 8       I slept very little last night it was so cold, but this morning the sun came out bright and made the trees look splendid with their coat of ice. I came to camp and soon after went down and helped change the horses into a better shed.

Sat. 9       I was detailed to help draw wood and the team got stuck in the mud and we drew two loads in the course of the day. I took dinner at the hospital, being there with a load of wood at noon. Leana brought me some bread she made and it made me think of home.

Sun. 10    I went down to the stables and staid [sic] most of the day, which has been a rainy day, and there is no signs of our having dry feet again for the mud grows deeper and more of it. What a Sabbath. I could hardly tell when Sunday came unless I kept a record.

Mon. 11    Most of the day has been rainy, the sun rarely shows itself nowadays. I lay around in the cook shanty and my tent most of the day and went up town in the evening.

Tues. 12     It was still raining when I got up this morning which was rather late on account of being up last night. I took a cup of slush and went down to the stables and passed the day. We have the hardest work to get enough to eat. Our bread will not last more than two meals. They give us such light weight. I ate my loaf for supper, and, therefore, must go without it at breakfast and dinner tomorrow, and I see no signs of catching up. I went up and spent the evening (a long one) with Leana.

Wed. 13     Revelle [sic] at 5 A.M. and we struck tents immediately. The regt. started at 8 A.M. for Orleans. Snow, Bannister and myself were left to guard the luggage. We took quarters in the Capt’s. tent and have a stove. Leana brings me milk.

Thurs. 14    We loaded the teams in the morning and I spent the day up town, living on bread and milk.

Fri. 15    We sent the Capt’s tent down and took up quarters in Co. C’s cook house. We are having great fun. Snow knocked down a nigger as we were going through an alley this eve.

Sat. 16.    We were up so late last night that the teams came for a load before we were up, but we loaded, and I went down to camp and returned this evening. I shall be sorry when we are ordered to that prison I went up to Leana’s this eve.

Sun. 17     We were ordered to the regt. today, but we could not see it. We sent our blankets down on the team and fooled around all day. We sold 3 loads of lumber for $3. and are going to sleep where we can.

Mon. 18    We had a bully time all last eve and it is useless to tell where I slept, suffice to say I slept well. About noon we got aboard the cars and arrived at the prison just as the company was going out to drill. I found a horse for me and I am now armed as the law directs.

Tues. 19    Oh, what a dismal hole is this camp of ours, nothing but brick walls on every side. My horse was out to be shod so I did not drill.

Wed. 20     I was detailed to help build bunks, no drill.

Thurs. 21    Worked on bunks all day.

Fri. 22    On guard at the Q.M. Col. Dudley is around swearing at the men all the time. He commands our brigade which consists of 2nd Ill., 2nd N.H., 3rd and 6th Mass.

Sat. 23      I came off guard and cleaned up for inspection which is no small job come to have saddles, bridle etc. etc.

Sun 24     At 8 A.M. we saddled and formed briagde [sic] line and paraded the street for 3 hours. My horse knew more than I did about the drill. We drew white gloves and we have the left.

Mon 25     We had drill.

Tues. 26    Drill, Drill.

Wed. 27    We had the usual drills of sabre and mounted.

Thurs. 28    The same old story of being shut up in this old prison and going out only to drill which is from 9 1/2 to 11 A.M. with sabre and 1 1/2 to 3 P.M. mounted.

Fri. 29        They got stuck for orderly today. I had much rather stand guard, but I am at Sargent [sic] Major’s, so it is easier than at Hopkin’s headquarters.

Sat. 30       Cleaned up for inspection.

Sun. 31       Today is Col. Dudley’s favorite day for parading the streets with white gloves on.

Feb’y ’64

Mon. 1        It was rainy in the forenoon, therefore we had no drill, but we had sabre drill and dress parade in the after­noon.

Tues. 2       This morning a great catastrophe happened. The privy which sat on some old spiles over the river fell with a crash with some 25 men who had gone there, which gave some broken bones, and most of all took a cold bath, Sergt. Goland, Holcher and Kendall from D Squadron. We had the usual daily drill. Hill and Hastings got into a row, — when our Lord can testify tied Hill up by the hands, — but this will play out.

****** one busy from morn till eve, from revelle [sic] until tattoo, and one can hardly tell where the day goes to. Money is scarce therefore tobacco is the same. I get a chew now and then of French Vogie. He says he is a western yankee, no damned northern yankee.

Thurs. 4       Nothing but the usual daily drills.

Fri. 5       Great doings, — the ladies of Mass., now residing in Orleans presented the brigade with a splendid battle flag. We formed in line at 9 o’clock A.M. and marched up to Canal Street forming around the statue of Henry Clay where Miss Binney Banks, daughter of the Gen. made the presentation speech. We then passed by the donor and paraded the streets for some time when Col. Dudley chose D squadron to escort the flag to headquarters, first treating us at the St. Charles.

We stopped at the residence of Mrs. A. G. Hill and gave her three cheers, arriving at camp at dark.

Sat. 6       We lay still all day.

Sun. 7       Nothing but the same dismal life in prison.

Mon. 8     We had regt’l inspection which used up most of the day.

Tues.9      We formed brigade line and went to Carrollton where the 1st and 4th brigades were reviewed by Gen’l. Lee, Chief of Cavalry. Gilmore’s band was there. We arrived in camp just before dark. Of all the sights today were hacks loaded with men and women dressed in every style imaginable and along the streets, some as monkeys being led by a chain.

I was detailed for guard tonight.

Wed. 10    We had great fun last night walking with the masked ones. I being on guard could get outside. I came off post at 4 o’clock A.M. and slept until 9. We had the first regimental drill this afternoon.

Thurs. 11   We saddled at 8 A.M. and went to Carrollton for drill taking our dinner and forage for the horses, and staid [sic] all day.

Fri. 12       I was detailed to go after forage after we had loaded.

Wilcox and I took a tramp around town and did not return to camp until night and found Col. Dudley had ordered me to wear a barrel twenty-four hours. Caryl watched to tell me to stay away and Serg’t. Roach had a pass for me.

Sat. 13      This morning I was honored with a wooden overcoat until after guard mounting when I went  on guard at the Q.M.

Sun. 14     I was relieved at noon. I reenlisted today.

Mon. 15    We saddled early and went to Carrollton to drill. There was a battery practiced firing and made our horses skedaddle in every direction. It commenced to rain just as we were getting grub and we got wet through before reaching camp.

I was mustered in for three years dating from the 8th inst.

Tues. 16    I was detailed for stable guard. The agent or representative of Mass. made a speech to us. If that is the style of men left in the State I never wish to return. He talked as though he was talking to those that knew nothing about soldering. He had better go and talk to citizens. What do I care whether Mass. remembers me or not. The chink is all I want.

Wed. 17     The regt. went to Carrollton for drill, I being on stable guard did not go. My horse can rest, but it is no rest for me. I am stuck for three years longer.

Thurs. 18    It has been a very cold day and at night we had a regular snow storm. Col. Dudley had a pretty scrape. He tied up a man and first one regiment would hoot him, then another. He finally sent the 2nd N.H. to drill four hours.

Fri. 19    I am still on stable guard and have no drill.

Sat. 20    I was relieved from stable guard this morning and staid [sic] down to the blacksmith’s shop most of the day. There was a torch procession this eve and Broze and I went up town and were not at roll call. What the punishment will be I care not.

Sun. 21    Col. Dudley made a speech saying we were soon to take the field and go where loyal troops have never been. I was not missed last night. Broze was put on guard. There was an inspection.

Mon. 22    Today was election and we have been in the saddle all day, and it being the birthday of Gen. Washington the vessels at the dock were trimmed up in great style and salutes were fired.

Tues. 23    There was a guard over the ballot box last night, so it takes quite a detail from our company today, bringing me on brigade guard for the first time over the guard house.

Wed. 24    We were relieved at 9 o’clock A.M. and after cleaning up I slept until afternoon drill when we practiced firing and such dancing and prancing.

Thurs. 25    The same drill both forenoon and afternoon.

Fri. 26        Same drill as yesterday. We expect soon to leave — I got a check for $50. of my bounty, but could not sell it.

Sat. 27       We saddled early and went to Carrollton where the ladies of New York now residing in Orleans presented a splendid battle flag to the division, which used up most of the day. H. Caryl sold my check for $45. and this evening I went to the theatre returning to camp just before morning.

Sun. 28     I am on stable guard but got a pass and went up to see Leana. My pass was out at 5 P.M., but I did not return until most 12 at night. When I did come back the boys had the quarters lighted up in great style and having a gay old time previous to starting on the spring campaign.

Mon. 29    We were mustered in, it being the last of the month, and about 2 o’clock this P.M. we saddled and crossed the river to Algiers on the ferry and went about six miles to camp. We are now to commence our spring campaign and I hope we may be successful, — probably some of us must fall.

March ’64.

Tues. 1.   It commenced to rain in the night and it is a cold dreary day. We did not move but made ourselves comfortable as possible.

Wed. 2    Two squadrons D and G of our regiment and one of the 2nd Ill. started up the river and stopped about 5 P.M. to camp. How we make the eggs and chickens fly.

Thurs. 3   We went some 20 miles today and such a place as we are in camp. All are French and we have to take Broz to trade for us.

Fri. 4    We went about 10 miles to a swamp and went to work on a corderoy [sic] road all day knee deep in mud and water, and camp here tonight.

Sat. 5     We gave the road up as a bad job and started to rejoin the reg’t. which we did at Donaldsonville at eleven P.M. I led two disabled horses.

Sun. 6      We started at 7 and camped at Napoleanville at 2 P.M.  I led the horses.

Mon. 7     We started at 7 A.M. and Thibodaux at noon and at 2 P.M. went into camp.

Tues. 8     We started early and reached Tigerville at 2 P.M. where we fed and then started for Brashear, which we reached at 10 P.M., which makes the hardest day’s march yet. We have no supper for ourselves or horses.

Wed. 9      We crossed the bayou and camped in a cane field in the rain.

Thurs. 10   We had a whisky ration this morning and started. Some of the boys were on their muscle. We passed Bisland. The works have all been leveled down. We camped at Bakers plantation. Sergt. Howland reduced, Corp’l. Witherow promoted, I am on stable guard. Most of the boys took up quarters in the negro shanties, tearing down the partitions for firewood.

Fri. 11     We went to Centerville and camped in a field, the same old style, no grass.

Sat. 12    We had inspection and my carbine sling was condemned as dirty and was ordered to clean it and report to my Capt. before I ate dinner, but I have not yet and have eat both dinner and supper.

Sun. 13    Orders for inspection and we were all ready when Corporal Fisherdick was accidentally shot by E. Fletcher. He lived until night, the ball going in behind his ear and lodged on his brain.

Mon. 14   Orders came just at dark to move. Eight men were left to bury Corporal Fisherdick. We started and jammed along all night, going only seven miles, and stopped just at daylight to feed, when we started, reaching New Iberia at dark where we camped. I led Corporal F.’s horse.

Tues. 15    We trudged along and camped at Cold Springs, passing through St. Martinsville at noon.

Wed. 16.   Our brigade had the advance. We stopped at a plantation and each man got a large bunch of hay and in this style entered Opeloussas, and went into camp.

Thurs. 17    We started about 2 P.M. and passed Washington and camped at 11 1/2 P.M. Our squadron is on picket. I got a large fish out of a fish box I found in the bayou, which we had for supper.

Fri. 18     We tramped all day and into camp late at night. We got some chickens for supper.

Sat. 19     We passed Cheneyville and stopped at a plantation and fed our horses from a corn crib, and while the horses were eating the boys sailed in for chickens. I had got one and was running with sabre drawn after another one when Adjutant Stewart came and told me to watch and see that no one killed the chickens as the planter wanted a guard. We stopped at Gov. Moore’s plantation for the night.

Sun. 20   We riddled the hen coops and bee hives and got just all we could eat. We entered the town of Alexandria and found it occupied by part of the 16th and 17th A.C. We camped a short distance from town.

Mon. 21.   We had orders to move and we started with a force of infantry, travelling all day, driving the rebs, and tonight they are in position on Henderson’s Hill. It has been an awful cold rainy day, — part of the time it hailed. We are in a cotton gin and have visited a plantation and got chickens, geese, meal, lard, sugar, bacon and pork, which gives us a good supper.

Tues. 22    The rebs were surprised in the night and 250 prisoners taken and Edgar’s Texas Battery of four guns complete. We started back this morning reaching Alexandria just at dark, our company was ordered to fall out and there was some swearing, thinking we were to go on picket, when Col. Dudley came and said he would give us the post of honor, headquarter guard, as he considered us the best diciplined [sic] squadron of the brigade.

Wed. 23    We were busy cleaning up. As we are body guard, we must keep neat and clean. There is no guard detail today.

Thurs. 24   The paymaster is paying our brigade and twelve of us are on guard. Firing was heard at the front and part of our brigade was ordered out, but found the firing was the 1st brigade, discharging their pieces.

Fri. 25    I was on guard over the commissary stores last night. The 19th A.C. arrived today and we are ordered to move at 4 o’clock tomorrow A.M.

Sat. 26    We started at 7 A.M. Our squadron scouting around at night. We camped at the foot of Henderson’s Hill. Sergt. Stebbins, Parmenter and I went on guard at a plantation. The women are rank secess. and at the supper table there was some blowing about both armies.

Sun. 27    The squadron passed before we had our breakfast. We could not lose a chance of a good breakfast, so waited until we had our fill, then joined the squadron. We went about five miles and camped at Dead Hill.

Mon. 28    I was on stable guard, making four nights I have been on guard. Two graybacks were captured and I went down to Gen’l. Smith’s with them. The gunboats came up today.

Tues. 29    For one night I was not on guard. We started at 7.

I was on the advance with five others with orders soon as we saw anything ahead to yell and charge. We soon saw some men through the trees and started for them when we came on to one of our brigades that had come another road. We went to Cane river and camped in Piny Woods. I am on headquarters guard.

Wed. 30    Our squadron had the advance with 2 squadrons 2nd Ill. and were exchanging shots with the rebs quite often.

One reb was killed. We entered Cloutersville at 4 P.M. and halted a few moments, then pushed ahead to save some bridges, one of which was burned, so we forded the river and camped. I scouted all around the woods for horses and returned with a load of chickens.

Thurs. 31    Today has been a merry one for our squadron. We crossed the river and scouted all along. We soon came upon the rebs, but they were too strong for us and we waited until our advance came up when we routed them. The boys had been sailing in for eggs and when we started across the field at a gallop away flew the eggs. Crague had some in a sack and they were smashed. We soon came to the river bank, and seeing a squad coming we were going to open, but the Captain stopped us, when they stopped and we unfurled our colors and Captain A. asked what command he belonged to. “Gen. Green’s” was the answer. “All right, so do I” says Capt. A. They asked what regiment,”6th Mass!” we yelled, when the bullets flew in good style. They soon skeddaddled [sic] and we saw nothing more of them until reaching Natchitoches, when they made a slight resistance, but were soon driven through the town. J. Wilcox had his horse shot here. After dark we crossed over to the main body and camped. I am on stable guard.

April ’64

Fri. 1    We are to stop here two or three days, it is reported. Our squadron is on provost guard. The citizens treat us better than in any other place I have ever been in. The barber asks $1.25 for a shave in C.S. notes or 10 cents U.S., the baker $1. C.S. or 25 cents U.S. for bread. I am on patrol.

Sat. 2    Orders came to move. We started taking the Texas cut off. We soon came on to the rebs, the first brigade, driving them. We were ordered to the front, formed in line of battle, skirmishers thrown out and camped for the night.

I am on guard at headquarters.

Sun. 3    Finding the rebs had received reenforcements, we fell back to White’s store and camped. Grub is getting short.  Our rations were for only one day.

Mon. 4    Corporal Young and 3 others went to a plantation as guard while outside the picket. Such crabbed secess I never saw. They even refused to let us take cups to drink coffee until we told them we would go and take them.

We lived well today. In the night we visited the coop and got two fine fowls and cooked them and this morning the planter saw what was up and so began to feed us. We lock our horses up in the smoke house nights and keep no guard on.

Tues 5    We were relieved and started on after the squadron. We camped where we had our line of battle the 3rd inst. but there is no signs of any rebs. Ten of us were sent out with an engineer to survey the roads and went five miles and returned at 9 P.M. loaded with chickens.

Wed. 7    We started early and reached Pleasant Hill about noon. The advance brigade came onto the rebs in force and we got into position and staid [sic] until the rebs fell back, when we went on and camped at Wilson’s plantation, the place of battle. We lost about 50 men, killed and wounded. We are
in negro shanties out of the rain and have good fires to dry ourselves as it has been rather rainy.

Thurs. 8     The 3rd brigade had the advance I believe and had hard work to drive the rebs. At 3 P.M. we were ordered to the front where we lay about an hour waiting for the infantry to come up, but for some reason they did not come and the rebs came on to us in solid columns which we could not stand and we fell back in confusion. Our squadron had the brigade flag and we stuck by that until we got to the edge of the timber when it was sent to the rear and we kept up a steady fire, and falling back, the rebs on both flanks and rear, the 13th A.G. checked them. Our baggage wagon was on the field and was lost with Nim’s battery.

Serg’ts. Canterbury and Witherow and Bennett were wounded and captured. J. B. Brewster missing. I got astray of the squadron and joined what could be found of the regiment and went to Pleasant Hill.

Sat. 9     We were formed in line of battle, the infantry going to the front when our brigade was ordered to guard the baggage train back to Grand Ecore. As near as I can learn, they are having hot work at Pleasant Hill.

Sun. 10    We were up all night getting the wagons along and merely stopped to feed and camped just outside Grand Ecore.

We are on half rations of hard bread and no meat only what we can kill.

Mon. 11    We moved around into town and formed in line ready to receive the rebs if they come.

Tues. 12    Everything is quiet along our lines for all I know.

We have been digging rifle pits. There was sort of a review and troops given their position.

Wed. 13.    I was on guard last night and today the pickets were fired upon. We were drawn up in line, but soon returned to camp. Having found that the rebs are crossing Red River Gen. Smith went over to meet them.

Thurs. 14    I am on guard again. Our pickets were fired upon again with the same result as yesterday.

Fri. 15    Our squadron returned to the regiment today owing to Col. Hopkins and Major Bache resigning. In the afternoon fourteen of us were sent on a scout and returned at dark.

Sat. 16    Everything was quiet until afternoon when we were ord­ered to saddle and so remained until dark. Gen. Kirby Smith demanded a surrender of this place.

Sun. 17    Our brigade is on picket, everything is quiet. I have been down to the edge of Natchitoches and can see rebs in the street. The post I am on vidette is in the woods beside a tree, — it seems pleasant.

Mon. 18    A spy was caught trying to run the lines. Five of us went out and captured 2 pigs after much chasing through the woods. The relief came at 9 A.M. and at night we were called up to Col. Dudley’s to hear his farewell speech, he being relieved by Col. Davis of the 1st Texas cavalry and Gen. Lee was relieved by Gen. Arnold.

Tues. 19    About 4 A.M. we were routed out of slumber and from dreams of home and ordered to saddle our horses and prepare to go outside the works. We entered Natchitoches and scouted around the rebs pickets driving them in and returned to camp at 12 M. having one man wounded and capturing one reb.

Wed. 20    Orders came last night to be prepared to move against the enemy at an hour’s notice with three days rations but this morning our brigade was sent on picket. I am on vidette now, time 3 1/2 P.M., behind a rail fence with a large woods behind and a cornfield in front. It is a very pleasant day and I must take a peek at my pictures.

Thurs. 21    We were relieved by the 3rd brigade and 5 P.M. the whole army started towards Alexandria. Snow and I brought in a fine pig, but having no time to cook it threw it away.

Fri. 22     We marched all last night and stopped a short time to feed. We found the rebs at Cloutersville and skirmished, going a short distance. Our squadron is on picket.

Sat. 23    As soon as it was light enough to see a vidette, the rebel skirmishers attacked us expecting we would chase them and have us run on to their batteries, but we waited until all was ready. We commenced on them and soon came in sight of their artillery in position on Morrett’s Bluff with a line of battle on the plain. They began to shell us and we fell back and let the 19th A.G. go in and we went around through a swamp and they ran across the river. We staid [sic] in line until night when the rebs were driven from their position and we went into camp.

Sun. 24    We started this morning and our squadron was sent ahead to guard a bridge over bayou Rapides until Gen. Emery came up, when we were sent ahead to A. with dispatches. We camped outside and got some pigs, corn meal etc. for supper while Pelton went into town. Thus has passed the Sabbath.

If I remember right, today is Sunday. We have seen no reb during the day. They must have got enough yesterday.

Mon. 25    The pickets were driven in below us last night and all the troops were routed out, but come to find out a vidette getting drowsy, one of his comrades threw a lump of dirt and the vidette fired his carbine. We saddled and went back to Gen. Emery and have laid under the trees watching the troops pass. I am on guard to a plantation where there is a fine young lady and she invited me in and I had such a supper as soldiers seldom get.

Tues. 26     I sat up with Annie until the small hours of night and for one to have seen us he would not have taken us for anything but friends. She had a beau in the rebel army, a Lieutenant. I had breakfast, when bidding Annie farewell, soon joined the regiment. They were bringing up the rear and fighting. The rebs were drawn into one of Gen. Smith’s traps and they ran faster than we did on the 8th. Some were trying to flank us when the misquito [sic] battery gave them a few shells and they left. We are now near Alexandria where we are to camp. Our regiment is on picket.

Wed. 27    We were relieved from picket about 4 P.M. and went into camp. We are in a ploughed field, regular old 21st style.

The pickets are firing continuously.

Thurs. 28. Just as we got to bed last right it was found the rebs were trying to surround us and we saddled and moved back about two miles and camped, and this morning we were having inspection when the rebs attacked us and shelled us in good style and we fell back to the infantry. We skirmished on the flanks all day and at night found our support which consisted of the 13th A.C. had skedaddled leaving their tents, rations and everything. We occupied their camp and lived on their rations.

Fri. 29    We slept last night with the reins in our hands and this morning went into town on picket.

Sat. 30    We were relieved in the night, reaching camp at daylight and took two days rations, and started across the river. We were out as skirmishers. We travelled until dark and then went into camp.

May ’64.

Sun. 1    We started for A, our regiment bringing up the rear and as we were going through a lane some rebs charged on us. We broke for the timber and then turned on them, each man for himself and checked them, when we started for them with revolvers in hand and completely routed them. We saw no more of them today. Capt. Nettleton was wounded and we lost Corporal Gibbs.

Mon. 2    Something is the matter for we had an in [??] and did not even keep our saddles on our horses. I can bet my life I did sleep and there is a good prospect of having another night in tonight. We were mustered today. A letter came from Sergeant Witherow.

Tues. 3    I received a letter after I went to bed. About noon boots and saddles sounded and we went out beyond Gov. Moore’s and found a large force of rebs. We charged up to a house when their advance retreated to the main force when they opened on us with artillery. My horse had his leg broken and I took my saddle etc. back to the infantry and here I am going to spend the night.

Wed. 4    I had a good sleep last night and this morning took my saddle and started but soon got it on to a team and footed it into camp which just about played me out. I have been asleep most of the day. As poor old Ned has gone to rest I have no horse to feed.

Thurs. 5    Our regiment is on picket, but I am a dismounted man.

Fri. 6    I was on headquarter guard last night and this morning was detailed to go on a gunboat with five days’ rations. We went about four miles when we were ordered back. I slept out the rest of the day.

Sat. 7    Part of our regiment went on picket and the rest out foraging. I took Demond’s horse and equipments as he is on light duty. We are having a good time as we stand vidette one hour in twelve.

Sun. 8    We were relieved at 9 A.M. and reached camp at noon when I turned in my saddle and equipment and am now an unarmed man.

Mon. 9    We were called up early and soon after boots and saddles sounded and the regiment started and the hoe boys brought up the rear. We came 8 miles where we relieved the 1st brigade. The squadrons are so small they have been consolidated. D and H are put together. N. F. Bond commands us.

Tues. 8    There has been no movement, only boots and saddles sounded twice as the pickets were fired upon and after everything was quiet would unsaddle.

Wed. 9    Everything is quiet along the lines. Capt. Williamson with his jayhawkers came to join the brigade.

Thur. 12    Part of the squadron is on picket and therefore I have nothing to do but read over my old letters. Reports that the army is soon to start for the banks of the Mississippi River.

Fri. 13    At an early hour boots and saddles sounded and the dismounted men were ordered to report to Lieutenant Andrews. We ’went a short distance when orders were countermanded and we camped in a cotton gin on Widow Flower’s plantation for the night.

Sat. 14    We started this morning taking the river road, the rebs keep firing from the opposite bank of the river on the transports and at those that expose themselves above the levee. There is no signs of our going into camp.

Sun. 15    We went into camp about 12 last night and early this morning the teams were on the roads, but we went but a short distance until dark when we went pretty good jog.

Mon. 16    We stopped to camp about 2 A.M. I had a horse to ride after dark, we were on the road again at 6 A.M. and we had a large plain to cross.  We passed Marksville at 11 A.M.  It is almost impossible to get water for the rebs have cut all the buckets off the wells.  We are still going.

Tues. 17    We travelled all night and have travelled along pretty good jog today and are now nearing Simsport.  The fighting has changed from front to rear. It is reported our brigade has been badly cut up tonight as some of us were making cof­fee on the bayou bank the rebs poured in a volley and we left our cups when a few rounds quieted them and we went and got our things. No one was hurt.

Weds. 18    The train moved down to the division train and I went with it. Heavy firing has been heard in the rear and Serg’t Turner has just come and told me they had a hard fight at Yellow bayou and with the sad news of the death of four of our boys. Serg’t. Stebbins, Snow, Holcher and Broze and Southworth wounded. It seems hard to hear of our comrades being shot and I lying still doing nothing.

Thurs . 19    Our brigade was relieved last night and they were here when I woke up this morning and about noon we crossed the river. The teams were all drawn over by hand on a bridge built of river boats. We camped on the banks this side.

Fri. 20    I was detailed to lead oats from the boats and carried two sacks and returned to camp when marching orders came and the rear guard crossed the bridge broken up and we are off for the Mississippi.

Sat. 21    We travelled all last night and jogged along all day reaching Morganzia. I ride on George Brewster’s team. It has been a very hot day.

Sun. 22.    We went but a short distance and into camp and are to stay here awhile. The people have caves in the levee to hide in when the gunboats shell the shore.

Mon. 23    I lost all my blankets and I slept with the company last night. Nothing has been done but lie and take it cool as possible.

Tues. 24    Great talk about our furlough and I think we are entitled to it. The dismounted men are returned to their squadrons. They reported that the 3rd and 4th brigades are to be consolidated.

Wed. 25    Our regiment went out on a scout and returned all safe. The rebs fired an old log to make the boys think they had artillery.

Thurs. 26    Nothing of importance only the 3rd Mass. 2nd Ill. have left and the 2nd N.Y. Vets, taken their place in our brigade. It is reported we are to patrol the river. I was detailed to make a desk for Capt. Fordham, but did not.

Fri. 27.    I made the desk and we changed camp into the shade where it is much cooler. News of the defeat of Gen. Grant, bad news that.

Sat. 28.    I was on stable guard last night. Albert Stevens was promoted to Corporal. News tonight that Gen. Grant is not defeated, but it is on the Richmond. I have been sick, but feel better tonight.

Sun. 29.    The brigade went out on a scout this morning and returned at noon, soon after orders came to take two days rations and heavy marching order. The dismounted men are under Lieutenant Sagendorph.

Mon. 30     We remain in the same old camp with no pickets out to tell if the rebs should come. Here we have laid all day. I have occupied my time reading.

Tues. 31    No News has been received from the brigade. Two days rations have been sent out. We are taking things pretty cool, having very little to eat.

June ’64

Wed. 1    After we had retired last night Thornton of Co. A, being drunk shot himself and then wanted to die a hero. Mun and I went out to get some meat but could find none except at an Indian hut, which we did not trouble. We are taking it easy. We have a splendid cow for milk.

Thur. 2    After dark last night two more days rations were sent out and this morning the worn out horses came back as the brigade was sent to Rosville on the Plaquemine bayou.

Fri. 3    It has been a rainy day and I have staid [sic] in Capt. Fordham’s tent with Lt. Sagendorph, and in fact live on him, but whether he likes it or not I cannot say. We busy ourselves talking of home.

Sat. 4    It was very pleasant this afternoon, but it is raining now and everything is wet. We have a pleasant time while the regiment has gone to visit Jenney Reb.

Sun. 5    The brigade returned this morning and we joined the squadron. Nobody was hurt, but few rebs could be found this side of the Atchafalaza [sic] river.

Mon. 6    The weather is very dull. We lay in our tents all day.

Tues. 7    Another lowery day. All the talk is about our furlough now as the 2nd N.H. turn over their horses tomorrow and our turn comes with them.

Wed. 8    I have a little change of work today. News came that the 3rd Md. that went out this morning was surrounded so I took Caryl’s horse and we soon came to the brave 3rd drawn up in line of battle. We passed by them and scouted around until night finding nothing, and now we are to stay all night with nothing to eat.

Thurs. 9    I went to camp as orderly for N.F. Bond, and and we had rations sent out. While we were setting by the fire, firing was heard and we ran our horses about four miles after a wagon. We captured the wagon but the rebs took the mules and then we returned to camp.

Fri. 10    I was sick all night and had to have the Doctor come to see me and I can hardly stir today. I have a new horse one that a lieutenant of the 2nd N.H. had. They turned their horses in today.

Sat. 11    I feel better today but by no means well. We are having queer weather, first the sun will shine, then it will rain hard for fifteen or twenty minutes. The wells we dug are filled up by order and have water brought from the river.

Sun. 12    Excused from duty and I am getting better fast and will soon get well I hope. The same weather today as yesterday.

Mon. 13    Light duty. We have not had a shower today. I built a bunk in my tent.

Tues. 14    I returned to duty today and received a saddle. The army was reviewed by Gen. Sickles.

Wed. 15    On picket. Six men on a post.

Thurs. 16    Still on picket. There is no chance to get any sleep the flies and mosquitoes are so thick. Most of the cavalry have gone on a three days’ scout.

Fri. 17    We were relieved at 10 P.M. last night. We have laid all day and at night changed camp.

Sat. 18    We are out where the sun shines in all its power. We have to keep quiet and sweat from morning until night. I was detailed to go to headquarters to work.

Sun. 19    We had inspection.

Mon. 20    We started at 10 P.M. last night and went aboard the Jos. Pierce and landed at night at Tunica bayou and scouted all day returning to the boats at night. We got plenty of bread, milk, etc. to eat. One planter gave us a lot of apples. The first apples I have seen in this country. We exchanged shots with a squad of rebs, but the devil could not catch them in this country. They know the roads too well.

Tues. 21    This morning found us at Fort Adams, Miss., a small village. We went out some miles and it was the pleasantest ride of the season, full of ravines and hills. We returned to the boats at noon and here we lay, not knowing where the next landing will be. I got all the blackberries I could eat.

Wed. 22    We started after dark last night and soon found our­selves at Morganzia. We have laid still all day. There was no picket detail.

Thurs. 23    I am on picket as the reserve. The reserve is in the door yard of a house.  The paymaster gave me $278.70 today.

Fri. 24    I came off picket about 9 a.m. and had just got the saddle of my horse when we had orders to saddle and eighteen of us with Lieutenant Sagendorph went twenty-five miles to Gov. Johnson’s, reaching camp at 11 P.M.

Sat. 25    There was a review by Gen. Renzolds. A fellow cannot get sleep daytimes, the flies fill the air and bother man and beast horribly.

Sun. 26    I sent $200. home today and answered mothers letter, taking things as easy as circumstances will admit.

Mon. 27    Everything passed off quiet until 4 P.M. when we had battalion drill. I understand Gen. Emory [sic: Emery] has ordered us to drill every day.

Tues. 28    On picket on the river road in a cool place. We stand vidette one hour in twelve. It is reported we are to turn over our horses to the 4th Wis.

Wed. 29    After dark last night a detail of the 4th Wis. came and relieved us and today we have been turning in our horses and equipments. The band of the 156th N.Y. serenaded us last night.

Thurs. 30    Everything is quiet, nothing to do. We expect to start tonight.

July ’64.

Fri. 1    We went aboard the steamer Kennet at 10 A.M., reaching Port Hudson at noon, Baton Rouge at 2 P.M. Donaldsonville at 6 1/2 P.M., where the 3rd Md. landed. There was a dead negro floating in the river.

Sat. 2    This morning we were back at Baton Rouge and there was great skeddaddling [sic] as soon as the boat struck the shore.  I went ashore and paid $2.00 for breakfast. At 7 1/2 A.M. we left for Orleans.

Sun. 3    We arrived at Orleans about 7 P.M. last night and this morning crossed the river and went into camp in Algiers.

Mon. 4    Independence day, but no great day for me. I have laid still and taken it easy.

Tues. 5    This morning Corporal Stevens and I went over to the city and paid a nigger $2. to run the patrol with us. We went to the tailors and got a new rig and then went up to Carrolton. I went to see Leana. We came back to the city and found us good quarters for the rest of the night.

Wed. 6    I spent the night well and this morning returned to camp and slept during the day.

Thurs. 7    Nothing to do but eat ice cream etc. to keep cool.

Fri. 8    I can find no way to use my time in camp, therefore find pleasure in Orleans or here in Algiers.

Sat. 9    I lay in camp part of the day and got mad and went to Orleans and staid [sic] until 11 P.M.

Sun. 10    I spent most of the day in Orleans, returning between 10 and 11 this evening.

Mon. 11    I have been writing in this book ever since daylight, stopping only just long enough to eat dinner, and feel rather tired tonight.

Tues. 12    I lay still all day, in fact there is nothing to do. Money is scarce, therefore, it is no use to go to Orleans.

Wed. 13    The same occupation today as yesterday, only I found some books to read part of the time.

Thurs. 14    Nothing to busy myself. Some of the boys just for amusement go over to the city and play checkers with their nose all night and in the morning take a ride in the Star line coach. Flora Burdell’s is the place to go.

Fri. 15    It has been a very hot day and we lay in our tent naked to catch every breeze. I stabbed Stevens, in a squabble, in the thigh.

Sat. 16    Nothing to do, — only I have been on guard or pretended to, for I lay in my tent after being posted until it was time for a relief. The girls, thinking we were to leave soon, have been over to see their fellows and we have had some fun criticizing their beauty. One was what I should call a mulatto, but her fellow calls her a creole, but the one that takes the shine off of all is a Spanish girl. Madam Wallace is all the go now. I got a bug in my ear and went to the doctor to get it out.

Sun. 17    Another Sabbath if I remember right, and I have felt sick all day. This lying idle is not what it is cracked up to be. I had much rather have something to do.

Mon. 18    The non-vets left today and went into camp by themselves under command of Capt. Morse, and we expect to start home every day or any moment, — the sooner the better.

Tues. 19    I have just returned from Orleans 11 1/2 P.M., and had the good luck to find my pants that a tailor ran away with from this side of the river.

Wed. 20    Orders to go aboard the Pauline Carrol tomorrow, all of our extra baggage has been conveyed to the city today.

August ’64.

Aug. 7    We arrived home in Ware at 2 this morning and as I kept no account of the times I cannot write each day.  My folks were up ready to receive me, and Monday morning operations commenced. We were riding about. I cut Will Danforth out and sailed with Nett Benham while at home, say nothing about other pleasant evenings at other places. We had a party at Enfield, a dance at Greenwich and two at Pierce’s Hall and a shin dig somewhere every night. I got a certificate of marriage and left the folks in a stew.  The last night the town of Ware got up a supper. We did not attend but broke in the door of John Grant’s and then each one took to his hole to finish up our thirty days’ furlough.

September ’64.

Wed. 7    John and I, after bidding the folks good-bye, took a team and started for Palmer, and then went to Hartford and found Jack and went to the theatre in the evening.

team and started for Palmer, and then went to Hartford and found Jack and went to the theatre in the evening.

Thurs. 8    We started for Pittsfield and the regiment had gone. We hired a room for the night. We stopped a short time at the Springfield horse-show.

Fri. 9    We reported to Capt. Bond, who was left to some [sic: come?] on with the stragglers, and at night found ourselves in the battery barracks at New York.

Sat. 10    Oh, What a lonesome day. The regiment sailed last night and we must wait the next steamer.

Sun. 11    It grows worse and worse. I feel as bad about leaving home this time as at first. I wrote several letters.

Mon. 12    I busied myself walking the streets. It is dreadful cold and hard to sleep warm.

Tues. 13    Bully for our side. We are to leave this low, ill begotten hole tomorrow and start for the land of sugar, hurrah, boys hurrah.

Wed. 14    We went aboard the steamship Merrimac and at one o’clock started for sea. We are still in sight of land.

Thurs. 15    Out of sight of land, everything is lovely and plenty of elbow room.

Fri. 16    We are having fine weather for dinner. We had four pounds of boiled pork, ten hard bread and coffee.

Sat. 17    Nothing to be seen but our own company.

Sun. 18    We had divine service on board.

Mon. 19    We have been in sight of the Florida coast all day.

Tues. 20    We are ploughing across the gulf at a great rate.

Wed. 21    Still pushing ahead.

Thurs. 22    We crossed the bar this morning and arrived at the city before dark. We soon found the boys some five miles from the landing.

Fri. 23    Here we are again soldiers of the Gulf without arms.

Sat. 24    Nothing to do but sleep.

Sun. 25    I am on guard.

Mon. 26    I have laid still all day.

Tues. 27    Today we drew our long guns and equipments.

Wed. 28    We moved to the Fassman’s Press and have bully quarters, everything handy. We had a dress parade.

Thurs. 29    We have to drill two hours per day from 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 A.M. and 4 to 5 P.M. dress parade at 5 1/2 P.M. We are not allowed to bring our rations into the quarters, but eat at the table.

Fri. 30    We had the usual drill in the forenoon but it being rainy the drill and dress parade were postponed.

Oct. ’64.

Sat. 1    We had drill in the forenoon and cleaned up for inspection in the afternoon and finished a letter. And the rest of the time played muggins. Seven new recruits came to our company. Reported we are to go on an expidition [sic]  to Jackson, Miss.

Sun. 2    We had regimental inspection in the forenoon. Harrison Hill and D. Casey were put in the guard house for a small offence. Hill for being late to breakfast and Casey for letting him in to the tables. He was only a few moments behind.

Mon. 3    We had drill in the forenoon and the rest of the day to ourselves. We spent it playing muggins, and I am tired tonight, more tired than if we had drilled.

Tues. 4    Drilled in the forenoon. We had no drill in the afternoon it being rainy.

Wed. 5    I am on guard again with a long gun. Lieutenant Lee is officer of the day. Sergeant Bixby Co. K, officer of the guard, so we have a good set of officers.

Thurs. 6    I came off guard at eight o’clock and cleaned up my equipments and then took a nap. I am just about sick and took some physic. It is reported that our garrison at Mobile has been captured.

Fri. 7    I feel better tonight. We had the usual daily drills and dress parade. It has been a long dull day for me as I have not felt better.

Sat. 8    I am 23 years old today and how it has happened that I am not on guard is more than I can tell.

Sun. 9    We had regimental inspection.

Mon. 10    It is three years today since I first enlisted in the army of the Union. We had the usual drills. Col. Nettleton drilled us in the manuel [sic] of arms half an hour.

Tues. 11    I am waiter on the table today. We had the usual drills, but 1/2 hour earlier in the afternoon.

Wed. 12    I drilled in the forenoon and got a pass and went out to see the styles and got rid of the afternoon drill.

Thurs. 13    The usual drills, and a game at foot ball.

Fri. 14    Orders came for inspection, therefore we had no drill in the forenoon and no inspector came in the afternoon. I was asleep at drill, therefore did not go out but took it easy.

Sat. 15    We were inspected by a Major of Gen. Davidson’s Staff and had the bugle sound to arms to see how quick we could form.

Sun. 16    We had nothing to do all day except dress parade.

Mon. 17    We had the usual daily performances and employed our leisure time eating and sleeping. Another mail came, and I had news by Chauncey Wilcox’s letter of George safe arrival home.

Tues. 18    Nothing to record, only we had battalion drill in the afternoon. I hope I shall have better night’s rest than I did last, for it was so cold I had to get up and exercise to get warm.

Wed. 19    I drilled in the forenoon and got a pass down town and hid in my bunk in the afternoon.

Thurs. 20    I am on guard over the quarter master’s and it is a good place.

Fri. 21    I was relieved at 8 o’clock and lay around until the afternoon drill when Capt. Allen chose me as representative to the white house and here I am under lock and key for fooling in the ranks.

Sat. 22    I was released this morning at guard mounting and at dress parade the Captain found fault with my gun and ordered me to clean it and report to him, which I did. What a rough chap I am getting to be.

Sun. 23    We had regimental inspection.

Mon. 24    Everything passed off well as could be expected considering the military man we have for a commander.

Tues. 25    We had no afternoon drill on account of it looking like rain. I went down to the theatre this evening. The play was Mazeppa.

Wed. 26    It has been a rainy day and we have had nothing to do but lie in the quarters and play cards and sleep, which makes rather tiresome work before night.

Thurs. 27    We had company drill both fore and afternoon. Two companies, F and H have been drawing horses and are ordered off.

Fri. 28    I got a pass from 4 o’clock and got rid of the after­noon drill. And this evening went to the Varieties Theatre. The play was the Duke’s Motto.

Sat. 29    Cos. F and H have left today. We had drill in the forenoon and cleaned up for inspection.

Sun. 30    We had inspection and the rest of the time lay idle. It has been rather a wet day.

Mon. 31    We were mustered. Rainy day.

Nov. ’64.

Tues. 1    We pretended to drill both forenoon and afternoon, but the officers were all busy and it fell on Sergeant Young, who marched us out to the canal and staid [sic] until the hour was up.

Wed. 2    I am on guard at the main entrance. Lieutenant Lee is officer of the day and a bully fellow he is. It has rained the greatest share of the day.

Thurs. 3    It cleared off cold in the night and there was no such thing as sleep. I slept all the forenoon and in the afternoon wrote letters.

Fri. 4    Three of us turned in together, so I managed to sleep warm as I had the middle, but it has been a dreadful cold day. We had the usual drills.

Sat. 5    I slept most miserable last night. We had drill in the forenoon and in the afternoon cleaned up for inspection.

Sun.  6    We had company inspection.

Mon. 7    We went out to drill in the forenoon but it soon commenced to rain when we put for the quarters. We had the afternoon drill. Great discussions tonight. Some are for old Abe, others for little Mac, and each party is praising their candidate.

Tues. 8. We had no drill but had an election of our own. Votes were cast for “more rations and company cooks.” “More bread” and one was cast for “Old Abe” on conditions that he gave us more rations and better officers.

Wed. 9    Three years ago today we bad [sic] goodbye to our friends and went in to camp. Of the six that bunked together, Lamberton, Warburton, Marsh, Bennett, Lashua and myself, two last are left. Bennett found a grave in southern soil. We had drill in the forenoon, and regimental inspection in the afternoon.

We are not to be mounted but report to Gen. Sherman.

Thurs. 10    We had drill both fore and afternoon. The rest of the time I was tailoring.

Fri. 11    I am on guard. Lieutenant Sagendorph is officer of the day. Sergeant Watkins, Co. K officer of the guard. It is a very pleasant day and everything goes lovely.

Sat. 12    I slept very fair last night and was relieved at 8 o’clock when I cleaned up my gun and equipments, when I had a good snooze.

Sun. 13    We had company inspection. I wrote home. The day has been very pleasant but I have spent most of the time sleeping. All a soldier thinks of is to eat and sleep.

Mon. 14    We had the usual daily drill.

Tues. 15    Sergeant Young took us out to drill but marched us about a mile up the shell road where we broke ranks and lay down. In the afternoon it rained so we had no drill.

Wed. 16    We went out and lay by the kanol (canal) during our drill hours, as Sergeant Young was drill master. At dress parade Corporal Stevens was reduced to the ranks. I got a pass this evening down town, but soon had to skeddaddle [sic] back to camp as it was a safer place.

Thurs. 17    The same style of drill today as yesterday. Part of our non-vets. are soon to leave us.

Fri. 18    12 non-vets turned in their arms today so they are soon to leave us. It made our company look rather small, when we fell in to take our usual drills, or rests, on the bank of the canal. This afternoon we changed our front and marched over to the workhouse and staid [sic] until the hour was up.

Sat. 19    I am on guard. Lieutenant Lewis is officer of the day Serg’t. Brown, Co. K, officer the guard. It has been rainy all day but my post was under cover. Twelve of the non-vets were mustered out.

Sun. 20    Another rainy day. I slept all the forenoon. I received several letters.

Mon. 21    We had a great time drilling both forenoon and afternoon, for Sergeant Young marched us around Philippi Basin and Drayades Streets and we confiscated apples etc. as we went along. It was a cold night and it was hard to keep warm and we are going to have a booster tonight.

Tues. 22    0, what a miserable night. I suffered with the cold and could get no sleep, but would lie in my bunk until chilled through, then go to the guard house fire and thaw out. We had no drill this forenoon, but went down and got our ration money $6.00. I went out on an old pass and had a good even­ing.

Wed. 23    We had the usual drills and I went down to the theatre again tonight. The play was “Colleen Bawn.” I was reported absent at roll call.

Thurs. 24    Thanksgiving, and we had no drill. I worked part of the day on my bunk. Our dinner was boiled fresh meat.

Fri. 25    We had the usual drills. Lashua and I got a pass this evening and went to the theatre. The plays were “The Stranger” and “Pizarro”.

Sat. 26    We had drill in the forenoon. At four o’clock this P.M. we bid farewell to twelve of our comrades of the last three years duty perhaps never to see them again, but they have done their duty and may they arrive safe home.

Sun. 27    The boys sailed at 8 this A.M. Geo. Demond was in the calaboose, therefore was left. We had inspection this morning, then I went on guard. Capt. Howell is officer of the day and Sergeant Towne is officer the guard. It has been a very pleasant Sabbath.

Mon. 28    I came off guard at 8 A.M. when orders came to move and we went aboard the steamer Red Chief No. 1 at 7 P.M. D and E have been consolidated.

Tues. 29    We laid up part of the night on account of the fog and arrived here at dark and took up quarters in a shed joining the sugar mill on Hemitage [sic] plantation.

Wed. 30    We laid around all day. At night I went on picket.

Dec. ’64.

Thurs. 1    I came off picket at 5 P.M. It rained all the P.M.

Fri. 2    It has been a very fair kind of a day. I have slept most of the time.

Sat. 3    This morning I was detailed to go over to Donaldsonville after rations and had a wet time. After coming back I was detailed for guard at the ferry. We went to work building a shanty for quarters. On guard tonight from 8 to 10.

Sun. 4    We stand guard here two hours on and eight off right along, so we have a very easy time and do our own cooking.  Guard 4 to 6 tonight.

Mon. 5    Nothing transpires worth writing. Guard 2 to 4 tonight.

Thurs. 6    About the same style of living only we draw our flour and have griddles twice a day. Guard 12 to 2.

Wed. 7    We are enjoying ourselves as good as can be. On guard from 10 to 12.

Thurs. 8    It has been rather a cold day. We went down to camp and got a stove so we are comfortable. We had a staving old dinner of potatoes, turnips, etc. On guard from 8 to 10 tonight.

Fri. 9    I wrote letters. It has been a very rainy day and we have done nothing but stay in the shanty. On guard from 4 to 6 tonight.

Sat. 10    A very cold day and we had to hug the stove most of the time. John Lashua and I went and picked a lot of peccon [sic] nut.

Sun. 11    Another Sabbath day has come. I went down to camp for a short time. I was on guard from 2 to 4 this morning.

Mon. 12    I stood guard from 12 to 2 this morning. We did not live very high today. We have nothing to do but lie in the shanty.

Tues. 13    Nothing but lie still in camp or shanty.

Wed. 14    Wrote letters.

Thurs. 15    I drew a horse and saddle and now we are mounted infantry. I went over to Donaldsonville for a short time this P.M.

Fri. 16    I have been busying myself riding my horse about so as to get used to the saddle. It is reported that the hotel in Ware, Mass, has burnt with Satan’s father. Ware will be a sweet looking place shortly.

Sat. 17    About the same old story of other days. I went over to Donaldsonville and soon returned.

Sun. 18    I have written letters and laid around the rest of the time. Some of our boys went out on a scout last night and captured seven rebs, making fourteen since being here.

Mon. 19    Orders came at 10 last night to get ready to go on a two days scout. Some of the 3rd R.I. relieved us, and at 8 A.M. we started. At noon we stopped to rest on New River, and after 9 P.M. we reached the Amite River where we are to stay over night.

Tues. 20    We left the Amite at 7 A.M. in the rain and rambled through swamps same as yesterday. We reached home about 3 P.M. We went back to the ferry on guard.

Wed. 21    We rigged up our quarters and are now all right again after our scout.

Thurs. 22    Everything is lovely as can be. I went over to D. and staid [sic] a short time.

Fri. 23    About the same story as ever, doing guard, chatting with all the good looking women who cross, joking with the men.

Sat. 24    There has been great work today as folks were passing to get their Christmas stuff and we have had a pretty good time.

Sun. 25    Hurrah for Christmas! We had a great dinner of pies, chicken, etc. brought in by our friends the citizens.

Mon. 26    I am expecting my box from home every day. I went over to Donaldsonville to see if it was there but had to come back empty handed. I am about giving it up as a gone goose.

Tues. 27    About the same old style as ever. Nothing to do.

Wed. 28    A mail came and I received two letters and answered them.

Thurs. 29    I went over to Donaldsonville thinking my box had come sure, but was again disappointed. I am discouraged.

We are living high as ever. I think we will all be troubled with the gout.

Fri. 30    I had a letter written home when word came my box had arrived but that I could not get it until tomorrow.

Sat. 31    My box has arrived and I have explored its depths and found many little jim cracks from home. I now retire to sleep the rest of the year 1864.