Diary of Luther M. Fairbank, Co. D — Part 5, 1865

(Thanks to Stan Prager, John Hartwell, and Larry Lowenthal for transcription of this diary.)

January 1865.

Sunday, 1st.     Another year has commenced and yet the war continues and I am still in the service of the United States.  I hope ere another year shall come that peace shall reign over our land. For dinner we had a nice pair of ducks given by Mr. Seales, a planter living five miles below here. I was on guard from four o’clock until seven this morning.

Mon 2d.   On guard from two till four this morning. Yankee Stevens and Simons came up here, and we had a gay old chat talking over our old times. It has been cloudy and I think it will rain. The river is rising fast, and if it keeps on we shall soon have to move the American House.

Tues 3rd.   I was on guard from twelve to two this morning, and today we have had a very pleasant time. For dinner we had an oyster stew. The Miss. is fast rising to our door, and the American House will soon have to be moved.

Wed. 4th   I was on guard from ten to twelve last night. I had very little sleep. Today I have laid in my bunk and read all the time, except while taking my turn at guard.

Thur. 5th.   I stood guard from seven to ten last night. Slept all the afternoon, as it was rainy all day.

Fri. 6th.    I took guard from four to seven this morning. Last night we never went to sleep until midnight, for we were busy killing a cat that came round stealing. I carried a telegraph dispatch down to Mr. Seales; he gave me a dollar.

Sat. 7th.   Nothing alarming has happened today. There are two negro wenches here putting up at the American House, but the sitting room is altogether. On guard from two to four.

Sun. 8th.   I slept very little last night, and feel rather drowsy now. I was on guard from twelve to two this morning.

Mon. 9th.   It was so rainy last night that none of us were on guard, as we knew no officers would trouble us. And such a stormy day as it has been. It thundered and lightened [sic] all day, and the wind blew enough to alomst [sic] blow the shantee over the levee.

Tues. 10th.   I stood guard from seven to ten last night. Today has been very cold, and we have hugged teh [sic] stove. We replenished our stock of tobacco tonight.

Wed. 11th.   I stood guard from four to seven this morning. Last night Mr. Page came and wished us to watch twenty-seven bales of cotton for him that lay here, and this morning gave us five dollars, and we made five and a half dollars other ways. It has been a very pleasant day.

Thur. 12th.    I stood guard from two to four this morning. It was so cold last night that water froze standing in a bucket outside, but we slept warm as we kept a roaring fire. The river has fallen about two feet since yester­day morning.

Fri. 13th.    I stood guard from twelve to two this morning. Broze came up and wanted a couple of us to go and kill a horse and mule that had the glanders. Butcher and I went down and did the work, but had hard work to kill the mule. He gave us all the cherry bounce we could drink and about two quarts pecan-nuts. It has been nice and warm today.

Sat. 14th.    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. Today we have been at work repairing the shanty, such as laying a new floor and battening the cracks. I was sick most of the afternoon and lay in my bunk. It has been cloudy most of the day.

Sun. 15th.    Another Sabbath has arrived. I stood guard from seven to ten last night. My horse got played noing [sic] nothing, and I went down to camp and changed.

Mon. 16th.    I stood guard from four to seven this morning. I have had a lazy time of it, in fact this is a lazy place, plenty to eat and nothing to do.

Tues. 17th.    I stood guard from two to six. It has been a very quiet time and nothing to do, same as usual.

Wed. 18th.    I stood guard from twelve to two this morning, and did not sleep two hours all night I was so sick. Capt. Allen came up from the city and stayed here some time.

Thur. 19th.    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. I slept a good share of the day. Geo. Crague came up and made us a visit. He has got through with the service.

Fri. 20th.    I stood guard from seven to ten last night. Today has been rather rainy. We have had to lay in the shan­ty. Crague got free passage down on the Star. Devlin got bit by a hog as he was trying to catch some for an old woman.

Sat. 21st.    I did not stand guard at all last night. It was so rainy we knew no one would trouble us, so lay down and slept. Today has been quite busy, having made ten dol­lars. It was rainy in the morning, but cleared off ab­out eleven o’clock.

Sun. 22nd.    I stood guard from two to four this morning. Today has been a wet lowery day. After getting washed, shirted and shaved I wrote some letters, and the rest of the day ate and slept — slept and ate anything I could get hold of.

Mon. 23rd    I stood guard from twelve to two this morning. To­day has been clear but cold, and we have had to keep a good fire all day to keep warm. The river is on the rise again

Tues 24th    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. Today has been another cold day, and we have hugged the stove.

Wed. 25th    I stood guard from seven to ten last night. Anoth­er cold day. News reached us of the fall of Fort Fish­er, N. C. I went down to camp with a dispatch, and the rest of the time lay still, except getting up a little freight.

Thurs. 26th   Stood guard from four to seven this morning. It still continues about as cold as ever, and we keep fire day and night. This evening, the steamer Ben Franklin landed front of our shanty, and came very near demolishing it. We just commenced swearing at them. Finally Butcher got his gun and threatened to shoot the pilot, when they cooled down, and the American House yet stands. They came so near that we could step from our door onto the bow of the boat.

Fri. 27th    I stood guard from two to four this morning. It has been cloudy and cold, and hailed some parts of the day. The river just about holds its own, but when a boat passes, the waves put out our fire where we cook.  Ben Fairbank of New River was here trying to claim relationship, and says I must come out and see Cousin Mary.

Sat. 28th    We all turned in and kept no guard, as it was rain­ing and no officers would trouble us. Today has been cold as ever. I went down to camp and traded horses.

Sun. 29th    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. To­day is the Sabbath, and everything has been very lively. Three steamers landed freight, the Star, Liberty and Ben Franklin. A mail has at last arrived, having been ever since the 12th inst. coming from New York.

Mon. 30th    I stood guard from seven to ten last night. Today has been very pleasant.Bob Mahan has arrived from Tortugas, and made us a visit.

Tues. 31st    The one on the second relief got to sleep last night and therefore none of the rest were routed during the night. The day has been very fair, but tonight it looks like rain. Another squad of rebels have made their appearance at New River, and drove in our scouts last night and today the whole force of our men have gone out.

Wed. 1st.    I stood guard from two to four this morning. It rained hard last night and everything is all mud. We have stayed curled up in our shanty most of the time. The scout has not yet got in. Yankee (Glenn) came in tonight, having got lost and laid in the woods all last night.

Thur. 2nd.    I stood guard from twelve to two this morning. It has rained hard almost all day, and it is over shoe in mud. Oh, there is nothing so lovely as Louisiana mud.  We have stayed shut up, except a little while we worked getting in freight. E. Johnson returned from veteran furlough of thirty days.

Fri. 3rd.    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. Today has been very fair, and the mud is fast drying up. Last night between ten and eleven o’clock the scouting party returned, having been across the Amite river, and as trophies of their work brought in nineteen rebs, including Capt. King, a noted bushwhacker. Co. A lost one man, drowned, and Company G had one wounded by accident, Frane.

Sat. 4th    I stood guard from seven to ten last night. It has been very fair today as for rain, but there was such a fog that the ferry boat had to use a compass in crossing. We are to be relieved and join the company in the morning.

Sun 5th.    It has been quite rainy all day. We did not keep a guard on last night. Just at night the relief of three men came up with orders not to relieve me, so I still stay at the American House. News of a fight at Indian Village between Capt. Rice’s men and one hundred and fifty rebs; resulted in defeat of rebs with a loss of eight men.

Mon. 6th    Another rainy day. It is awful weather; very much like what we had in Carrolton a little over a year ago. I did not go on guard last night, as I was not routed when my time came.

Tues. 7th    I stood guard from two to four this morning. We have had no rain today. The sun came out and went to work drying up the mud, but there is rather a cold wind.

Wed. 8th    I stood guard from twelve to two this morning. Today has been very fair but cold. I got in about six dollars worth of freight. King, the one the boys captured, was killed while on the way to New Orleans.

Thur. 9th    I stood guard from ten to twelve last night. Another clear cold day. I feel lonesome since Butcher left. I do the cooking and Schmidt takes care of my horse.

Fri. 10th    I stood guard from nine to ten last night. Today has been rather warmer. We are under marching orders. We cannot stay in a good place when we get in one.

Sat. 11th.     I did not go on guard at all last night. Today has been a nice one. I cleaned up my saddle, and exercised my horse a little, and feel the worse for it tonight.

Sun. 12th    The relief came of the ed [sic?] R. I., but previous to leaving, the American House from some unknown cause took fire and was burned to the ground. We joined the company and about dark we set sail, or rather steam, on the steamer Iberville bound down stream.

Mon. 13th    This morning found us at Carrollton, where we landed and pitched our shelter tents on the same old ground we have so often made our home, and nothing but a detail for this and a detail for that has been the order of the day.

Tues. 14th     We were routed out about two o’clock by having the water run into our tent. Stevens and I started and got up an old woman who let us in, where we sat by the fire until daylight. The sun came out just about noon, when we dried our rigging, but a shower came up again tonight making everything nearly as wet as before. After trav­elling Carrollton all over to find some woman who would share her bed with me, without success, I returned to the camp to sleep in wet blankets.

Wed. 15th    I slept very well last night, for all we had wet blankets. Today has been very fair.

Thur. 16th   I was detailed for stable guard this morning, but Capt. Bond wanted me, so I was relieved. The day has been very pleasant.

Fri. 17th    We struck tents this morning the first thing, and lay around until about noon, when we moved about one mile and pitched our tents again. The Q. M. for a wonder drew boards for our tents, so we have good floors.

Sat. 18th    Everything is lovely as can be expected. The 2d Ill. joined us. We had a regimental inspection.

Sun. 19th    Nothing is going on today. Part of the 2d N.Y. vets, arrived, and more are expected.

Mon. 20th    Our boys used their revolvers so freely that they were taken away from us today. I turned my horse in, and must wait for another. Part of the 1st La. joined us.

Tues. 21st    I have had no horse to take care of, therefore have had nothing to do. Twenty new horses came to the company.

Wed. 22nd    I drew a large bay horse, but he has been off getting shod, so I have had no chance of trying him yet. I worked helping make out muster rolls this afternoon.

Thur. 23rd    It has been a very rainy day, and as a treat we have mud again, but one good thing, we can be dry in our tents, but Capt. Allen must come and get us out and have an inspection in the rain.

Fri. 24th    Another rainy day. I have stayed in my tent, only getting out to feed and water my horse. The rest of the regiment came tonight from Plaquemine.

Sat. 25th    It has at last cleared up and it has been a very nice day, but the mud is so deep one can hardly stir out from his tent. It makes everything and everybody uncomfortable. After getting out of the tent you cannot get in again without taking off your boots.

Sun. 26th    It is reported all the New Orleans men are to be mustered out the service immediately. If that is so it will cut our regiment down at least one hundred men. I traded horses today, and now, after having some six or eight different ones, I have one that suits me. The mud is drying up fast.

Mon. 27th    Another rainy day, so everything is bad as ever. Everything is so dull that I fairly have the blues.

Tues. 28th    The sun is shining again today, and I have busied myself trying to find my horse, as I have been feeding a pile of mud the last few days. We were mustered, it being the last of the month, hut as for pay, that is quite another thing.


Wed. 1st    It has been very pleasant today, but the mud is far from being dried up. After getting the bloody horse clean, he will lay down and roll, making himself look as bad as ever, and you must go to work again, or get scolded for having him so dirty. News of the fall of Charleston and Fort Anderson. The first of our brigade started from here tonight.

Thur. 2nd    Nothing very alarming has happened. A mail came.

Fri. 3rd    I went down to the city to see Charley Snow without a pass. When I returned found four letters.

Sat. 4th    Everything is lovely. I went down to the city with Glynn and Butcher same as usual, without a pass, calling upon Snow and the Lothrops, and after visiting one or two of our old friends returned to camp, and nothing has been said.

Sun 5th    I have been sick all day, but we had regiment inspection, which kept us on the line fully four hours.  The rest of the time I laid abed.

Mon. 6th    We changed our position or camp by moving up the river about one mile. Here we are fairly situated with everything nice until it rains. A squad of about thirty recruits came.

Tues. 7th    Cos. F. and H. went off in the night, and today two more have gone. We drilled one and a half hours in the a. m., but it being rainy this afternoon we broke ranks.

Wed. 8th    We were routed about four this morning and packed up but did not start until about three this afternoon. We arrived at Lake Ponchartrain before dark. There be­ing no boat ready, we put up at a large hotel, and have full swing. We keep our horses on the stoop.

Thur. 9th    I was on guard last night. Today has been a rainy one. We saddled up and came to the landing, where we stood in the rain for about two hours, when we got aboard the steamer Warrior, but we are not going to sail as it is so rough.

Fri. 10th     It was an awful cold night. I slept in under the boilers until the fires got down, then I climbed up over the horses, where I stayed until this morning. We sailed at one o’clock. We passed Fort Pike at about four o’clock.

Sat. 11th     We  passed Fort Powell, or rather the remains of it, at half past six this morning, and landed at Fort Gaines at eight a. m. We again started and passed Fort Niagara at about ten a. m. We reached Barrancas at half past three, where we landed. We pitched our tents in a pine grove. A mail came.

Sun. 12th    We had regimental inspection in the forenoon. The rest of the time lay in my tent. We have had a report that Richmond was taken with seventy thousand men, but that is too rough for any one to believe.

Mon. 13th.     We  had drill of three hours, company drill of an hour and a half in the a. m., battalion drill of an hour and a half in the p. m. It is much better than Louisiana mud.

Tues. 14th.    Today it has rained all the time, and we have lain in our tents. But one thing, there is no mud. News came of the capture of Gen. Early with eighteen hundred men.

Wed. 15th.    We had the day to oil and clean our saddles, and I soon finished my work and laid down.

Thur. 16th.    We had both forenoon and afternoon drill, and, worse than all, we had dress parade.

Fri. 17th.    We had the usual daily drills of three hours and dress parade. The spare moments between calls I worked tailoring, as all government clothing needs to be sewed over again before wearing. Our greatest trouble is being without tobacco. Chase has forgotten to see that the eagle is fed, ten months due.

Sat. 18th.    I was on stable guard today, being detailed last night. Therefore, I had no drilling to do or dress pa­rade to run to, but took everything easy and saw the rest. We are again under marching orders to start to­morrow morning. Now I suppose our camp life is over for a time, and Mr. Johnneys are to have our attention. On to Mobile is the cry.

Sun. 19th.    We packed up early this morning and formed regimental line, and we laid there all day and started at dark and are now on the move.

Mon. 20th.     We got into Pensacola at one this morning, having forded and swam our horses across the bar some three quarters of a mile, getting everything all wet. I got to bed about three o’clock. At half past five I got up as mail came last night. We laid around until the mid­dle of the p.m., when we started. Our brigade is in the rear of the army. We are in camp in a pine grove, having got here at nine this p.m.

Tues. 21st.     It rained hard during the night and all the forenoon. We were routed up at about five o’clock, but stood in the rain until noon, when we started, but we hardly move. The roads are full of quick-sands and the teams will sink in and bother. We have not gone five miles today. It is reported we are to go to the front tomorrow as the rebs are said to be advancing.

Wed. 22nd.     We marched to Hill’s half acre where the infantry are, and went into camp on the right. We had regimen­tal inspection soon after and some soft soaping from Jimmy Legg ( Lt. Col.)

Thurs.23rd.     We started at seven. A negro brigade on the ad­vance. They soon came to the rebs picket when we were sent to the front at a gallop, but after going some dis­tance we came to a bridge burned. We formed in line of battle and camped for the night — no forage for horses, 3/4 rations for men.

Fri. 24th.     Forty of our company were detailed to go on a scout with others. In the forenoon we crossed the bayou and camped.

Sat. 25th.     We started early and soon the advance commenced skirmishing and we have had a running fight all day, capturing some 125 prisoners and a Brig. Gen’l., besides 17 other officers and a battle flag. We followed them to Escambia river, when we found the bridge destroyed. The 1st. Louisiana drove the rebs into the river where a number were drowned and two of the 1st. We went into camp. The infantry pushed on to Pollard, Alabama.

Sun. 26th.     Some of the infantry went to Pollard and destroyed the Mobile railroad and a lot of supplies and some of the cavalry went some four miles from here to the road and tore up the rails. A party of us took some cartridges and our guns and went on a scout on our own hook. We found a rebel trunk in the woods which we soon broke open and scattered the contents. We got some com for our horses which have been fasting for the past four days.

Mon. 27th.    We started at daylight and followed the railroad. We are in camp in a large deserted rebel camp, having gone into camp early. The advance captured twelve rebs. The 2nd. Illinois, 2nd Maine, 1st Florida are joined us. They captured two trains of cars and 143 rebs. I had fresh pig for supper for the first time. We are to have only 1/2 rations until we reach a new base of supplies. I traded my last hard tack with a reb for a plug of tobacco.

Tues. 28th.     We started at daylight and such roads — equal to Louisiana. I see no signs of ever coming to a settled country. Since leaving Pensacola we have been in the woods (pine) and have seen nothing but log cabins. We stopped for an hour to groom and graze our horses then came about four miles and camped. Four rebs and a mail were captured.

Wed. 29th.     We did not move today but lie and fast as our ration have given out, and we have to feed our horses on grass, as the teams are empty of everything. I am on picket tonight.

Thur. 30th.     It rained most of the night, but I slept. This morning we killed a couple of kids for breakfast and soon after a fine beef came in sight. Four of us mounted and gave chase for a mile, finally bringing her down. When cutting off the two hind arms and heart we saw a squad of men we did not like the looks of and we started with the meat for our post, but found we were relieved and column in motion. We dropped the beef and soon joined the regiment and went ten miles and camped. No rations for man or beast. I managed to get an ear of corn for my supper.

Fri. 31st.     We moved on again and came to Stockton where there was a large corn mill in motion. We stopped and fed our nags and got some meal for ourselves and came about two miles and camped.

April ’65.

Sat. 1st.     We started and our company were foraging. We man­aged to get something to eat. The advance came up with some rebs and had a fight and we were ordered up with the battery. We got into position. The infantry came up, Some fighting took place. The 2nd Ill. captured a battle flag.

Sun. 2nd.     We were routed up at 3:30, saddled and formed in line where we staid [sic] until about noon, when we came off to the left (the infantry having gone to the front) and camped. The road is filled with torpedoes. I am on picket.

Mon. 3rd.     There was heavy cannonading all night and today, but I have heard of nothing from the front. Hurrah, our rations came today and once more I taste good salt pork and hard tack and coffee for supper. We were relieved from picket about two o’clock and I have written home.

Tues. 4th.     We changed camp, moving around so that the brigade would be in line facing towards the rear. We have a better camp, but it is the talk that we are to report to General Canby in the morning, and there is great surmising as to what we are to do. Some think to be dismounted. Glynn was sent to hospital.

Wed. 5th.     It is settled. We have reported and are to be provost guard. We left our camp on General Steele’s line at noon and travelled eight miles, and are now camp­ed near General Canby’s. So we have bid farewell to the Star brigade for a while, and try a new style of duty. Very little firing has been heard at the front.

Thurs. 6th.     We cannot have a moments peace, I begin to think, for when not doing duty, Jimmy Legg ( Lt. Col) has us moving camp. We moved again today and are well fixed for one night at the least I hope, as we have built walls to our tents of pine logs. Heavy firing for about an hour today. It is reported that General Thimes [sic: Thomas] has captured Selma.

Fri. 7th.    I was detailed with fourteen others to take a ride in one of the Government pleasure wagons, which are noted for their ease and comfort, to the landing, some five miles from here, where we loaded 130 sacks of corn and returned to camp about noon. It has been showery all day. I staid [sic] in my tent most of the day. The heavy firing of yesterday proved to be a salute of 100 guns for Thomas’ victory. All has been quiet along the lines today except now and then a cannon speaks to show folks we are awake.

Sat. 8th.    One year today we had our skeddaddle [sic] from Sabine.  But the report tonight is better, that the left wing of the Spanish Fort is captured with 300 prisoners. I was on guard about an hour over a rebel Captain and Lieutenant. The rest of the time worked cleaning up. We are having one good ration, that is tobacco.

Sun. 9th.     The old Spanish Fort surrendered at one o’clock this morning. They had commenced evacuating by A. J. got in [sic?] and captured some 600. We were all packed up and in line most of the forenoon expecting to change camp,when orders came to go into camp again. The troops have been marching up to reenforce [sic] Gen. Steele’s lines as the rebs retreated that way. So there will soon be fighting up there, as soon as the troops get into position. It is reported Lee has evacuated Richmond, but it is not swallowed by the boys. They have been fooled so many times. Butcher and I took a walk up over the ground A. J. has been fighting on, and it looks as though he had rough work. News has just come that Blakely has been taken.

Mon. 10th.     I washed my pants the first thing after stable call and had just got them hung out to dry when orders came for every man to saddle up, therefore I had to pull on my pants. We went up to the front to get some 2500 prison­ers, but before getting there we had to cross a pontoon in plain sight of the reb’s works on the other side of the Tensaw. They shelled us but did no damage. We got the rebs and took them to the landing and returned to camp about eleven o’clock.

Tues. 11th.     A regiment of infantry went down to the landing with 978 prisoners, and soon after the negroes went down with another large squad. A nigger bayonetted [sic] one of them for saying they would come Fort Pillow on them again. Our men were going to fire into the nigger troops to prevent them from killing the rebs after surrendering in the Fort. It is reported that Gen’l. Dick Taylor has been captured by some of our cavalry. We moved camp some seven miles. We are now near Blakely. I am on stable guard tonight.

Wed. 12th.     News that Gen’l. Sheriden [sic] has captured 25000 of Lee’s army. It cannot seem true, so much good news.  Some of the men were for throwing their guns in the fire and starting for home. Since this campaign commenced we have captured 7000 prisoners. Our advance is said to have captured the city of Mobile. If that is so, we shall probably soon move into the place until the army starts for some other point. A mail came.

Thurs. 13th     We struck tents this forenoon and moved into Blakely and camped. Beside our camp are sixteen of the captured cannon. One is a Chicopee piece of 1857. Part of them are U.S. pieces.

Fri. 14th.     We struck tents at seven o’clock this a.m. and went to the landing and took boats for Mobile. Our company went aboard the Warrior. We arrived in the city at ten a.m., marched up Government Street and pitched tents. I had hardly got my tent up when I was detailed to go and guard a rebel Colonel’s hours [sic: house] (Col. Garner), but I am all right for I am in with a yaller girl so have plenty of grub.

Sat. 15th.     No relief came and I had full as lieve [sic?] they would not for I have had plenty to eat. What I have seen of the city looks very neat and pretty. The provost guard is busy picking up rebel deserters and house after house has a guard over it.

Sun. 16th.     When I came off guard at twelve o’clock at night I went in and had a nice meal for a soldier. The guard was taken off the house, so I had to return to camp. News has come that General Lee has surrendered to General Grant. The blows fall think [sic: thick] and fast upon the sinking Confederate army.

Mon. 17th.     Everything has been very quiet — no details of anything. A mail came. I have hardly stirred out of camp.

Tues. 18th.     I have been detailed on fatigue duty all day, cleaning up camp and cleaning out a tank in a yard where there used to be a fountain. I did not work half the time. I wrote a letter. Warm weather is fast approaching.

Wed. 19th.     We fixed up our tent so we are all right. Simons and Brewer tent with me. After getting my tent done I did my washing. Some disease has got hold of the horses, all of a sudden they jump up, fall and die. Two died today. It has been very warm, and ice-cream begins to come around. 0, for a few greenbacks. I am going on a scout of my own.

Thurs. 20th.     I had a mounted pass with Simons and travelled the city all over, returning to camp at noon. I lay in the shade all the afternoon as it was so hot. I could not stay in the tent this evening. I have been out walking around for my health. We have sad, very sad news tonight that honest Abe has been shot dead in a theatre, also Seward.

Fri. 21st.     It has been rainy all day so we staid [sic] in our tent. I worked tailoring for the boys, altering pockets. There are many sad hearts here on account of the death of the President, and great excitement prevails, and woe be to the reb who expresses his satisfaction for the event. I am on stable guard tonight.

Sat. 22nd.     We almost froze before morning it was so cold, having made up our bed for warm weather. I was relieved from stable guard at retreat. We have been remodelling [sic] our house.

Sun. 23rd.     We had a very comfortable night last night. Today has been used in having inspection. After that I wrote home, and took a walk over to the cemetery to see the styles. Heavy firing has been heard in the direction of Whistler.

Mon. 24th.     For a change we had a drill of one hour and a half this forenoon to exercise our horses, and dress parade at night, which I suppose was to exercise the men. Everything is quiet along the lines. I slept, most of the afternoon over in the park, and went to see the Joskin this evening. I would live south if all was like this gay city. Go where you will, you will see the Union and rebel soldier locked in arms enjoying themsel­ves. One would hardly believe that but a few days ago we were trying to kill each other.

Tues. 25th.     An hour and a half drill this a.m. News of the reb­el ram Webb running past Port Hudson and New Orleans. Also a rumor of the surrender of Johnston’s army to Sherman, but it is not believed. I hope it is true.

Wed. 26th.     We had the usual drill and dress parade, and I took my afternoon nap as usual in the Park, and took a stroll around town this evening. I had a gay larking time of it after getting clear of the patrol by jumping the fence.

Thurs. 27th.     We had drill but no dress parade. It is announced in the papers that Gen’l. Kirby Smith has surrendered to Gen’l. Pope, but it will probably turn out like the surrender of Johnston’s army — all a hoax; also that Mosby has surrendered. All is quiet along our lines.

Fri. 28th.     Rumors fly around thick enough today. We have the report that Dick Taylor has surrendered to Gen’l. Canby and that the cavalry is going out tomorrow to escort than in. The 3rd Michigan have gone out tonight for something. If it is so, we shall hear more about it. We had our usual drill and dress parade, and it is warm work, but Lieutenant Wade is the officer for the occasion. He marches us out about half a mile where we lie in the shade until recall. I went to see the Joskin this even­ing.

Sat. 29th.     We had the day to prepare for inspection, and signed the pay rolls for ten months’ pay. A mail came. On stable guard.

Sun. 30th.     We had mounted inspection, and it being the last of the month, were mustered. I wrote letters and the rest of the time took it easy until after retreat, when I took a bee line for Canal Street.

May ’65.

Mon. 1st.     We had no drill or anything of the kind. Twenty of our boys were paid yesterday and started this morning. We have been looking very anxiously for the paymaster, but no greenbacks have come today.

Tues. 2nd.    The paymaster made his appearance and paid us for ten months’ work and one instalment [sic] Government bounty. I received $230. and sent $190. home. This evening I got a pass and have just returned, time one o’clock or after. Went to the theatre.

Wed. 3rd.    We had no drill. Pinitop [sic?] prevails. I have slept most of the day. The days are getting hot and long. I wrote letters, and went out scouting this evening.

Thurs. 4th     No drill — too hot. A mail. Rumors of everything afloat.

Fri. 5th.    Hurrah, hurrah, Dick Taylor has at last come down, for he has surrendered to Gen’l. Canby all the forces of East Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and East Florida on the same terms granted Lee. I wrote letters. It is getting too hot for comfort.

Sat. 6th.     We have to water our horses three times a day now, which is no small job, having to ride a mile from camp in the heat and dust. I wrote to Henry, and this evening went out visiting, and missed roll call. Official of Johnston’s surrender.

Sun. 7th.     We had inspection in the company st [sic?] by E.P. Chic­opee. I went down to the Joskin’s house and staid [sic] during the afternoon and this evening, missing roll call again. I shall have to look out or I shall get in a snarl.

Mon. 8th.     We had a good rain last night, and it has been very cool today in consequence. We had nothing to do, same as usual. I was gone from roll call again. I went to the Theatre, the plays were “Daughter of the Regiment” and “Poor Pillicoddy”. Just returned, twelve at night.

Tues. 9th.     Well, I am in for roll call tonight. Today has been very cool, and I took a nap for once in my tent. Wrote letters. All the boys are in for peace now, as Gen’l. 0[rder] No. 77 from War Department came out in the evening papers.

Wed. 10th.     It has been very hot, almost too hot to live. We altered our tent so as to get more air. I went down to see the Joskin again this evening. I am on guard at the quartermaster’ s.

Thurs. 11th.     It has rained most of the time today, therefore we had to keep cooped up. Between showers I drew some sand to put under the horses. I took a walk around town with Scaldy (Hastings). Dick Taylor’s men begin to arrive.

Fri. 12th.     We almost froze last night, it was so cold, and before morning I had to get up and dress. Tonight it is very hot and sultry. For a change now we have one half hour drill in the manuel [sic] instead of dress parade. I went down to see the Joskin — just returned. No passes unless boots are blacked.

Sat. 13th.     A very pleasant day, nothing very alarming has happened. I was absent same as usual at roll call. Half hour drill.

Sun. 14th.     We had company inspection this a.m., and I went down to the bay and had a good salt water bath. The rest of the day I lay in my tent, except this eve. I was absent from roll call, visiting. Fordham, our late Major, made us a visit. He thinks our fighting is over. Capt­ain Fluker (Corbitt) has made us a visit.

Mon. 15th.     We had one hour drill mounted in the forenoon, and half hour in p.m. in the manual. I am on stable guard, therefore, did not have to be present at roll call, and had a good visit.

Tues. 16th.     We changed our tent to a cooler place. I did not drill. Went out visiting this eve. It is very uncomfort­able tonight. News of the capture of Jeff Davis, but do not know how true it is.

Wed. 17th.     I was absent without leave at the morning drill but nothing has been said. It has been a dreadful hot day. The news of Jeff’s capture is confirmed. Took a tramp around town this evening.

Thurs. 18th.     One year ago today the battle of Yellow Bayou was fought, but things have changed since then. We went out to drill this morning, but a shower drove us back. We had the afternoon drill.

Fri. 19th.     We had the usual drills to make us move enough to keep us from growing lazy. News has come that Kirby Smith has been killed by one of his own men, but it is only a rumor, and that General Buckner has assumed com­mand of that army.

Sat. 20th.     The usual drills and watering our horses used up a greater part of the day, but it being Saturday we had to clean up for inspection. We are talking about soon being ordered to Texas to see Buckner.

Sun. 21st.     We had company inspection. It has been a very hot day, and it was impossible to keep cool. I went out this evening to visit one of Johnston’s men — absent from roll call.

Mon. 22nd.     We had morning drill, but a sun shower put a stop to afternoon drill. I am on stable guard. The largest share of us went to the theatre, and at roll call, the Sergeant reported so many absent. Will says the Lieutenant said if they are not here their names are.

Tues. 23rd.     It being late when I came in last night, I had no more than just got to bed when I was called to go on guard, but let the horses take care of themselves, and I slept until morning. It has been a very nice day. I took an evening walk. All is excitement about going to Mexico.

Wed. 24th.     Everything is quiet along the lines, except in watering our horses very little is done except keeping cool as possible. I went to the theatre this eve. The plays were “Jealous Wife”,”Toodles” and “Perfection”. No pass same as usual.

Thurs. 25th.     We had our usual drills. The fair city was suddenly thrown into confusion about two o’clock by the explosion of a magazine filled with fixed ammunition. No correct report can be obtained of the number of lives lost or the amount of property destroyed, which is variously es­timated from five to eleven millions of dollars, and three to four hundred fifty lives lost. The explosion of shells keep all from going near, as the ruins are on fire. All the engines are at work as near as they dare get. Buildings are demolished for two and three squares from the magazine. The steamers Kate Darle and Col. Cowles are lost.

Fri. 26th.     Everything has been very quiet here, but just at night the fire alarm sounded. I went down. It proved to be a lot of tar, rosen [sic] and turpentine stored in one of the demolished presses. I staid [sic] until the patrol began to order the men in, when I pushed for camp.

Sat. 27th.     We had the usual drills, and cleaned up for inspection. It is rumored again that Kirby Smith has come to terms, and I begin to believe it. I am on stable guard tonight.

Sun. 28th.     Being on stable guard I did not have to go out to inspection. After dinner I went out on a visit, took a walk up to the cemetery, and took supper out of camp, and have just returned — time eleven and one-half or twelve, and find a letter.

Mon. 29th.     Everything is lovely. Gen’l Kirby Smith has at last surrendered, which ends the war, the 26th inst. at four p.m., when the papers were signed that surrendered the last of the confederate forces. Hurrah, hurrah, hur­rah.

Tues. 30th.     Our horses half feed — no drill. I hid at eve drill, nothing doing.

Wed. 31st.     We had the usual drills. I went to the theatre same as usual without a pass. The plays were “Black-eyed Susan” and “Pocahontes”[sic].

June ‘65.

Thurs. 1st.     We had the evening drill, nothing else transpired worthy of notice. I am on guard tonight.

Fri. 2nd.    It has been a very warm day. I did not stand guard last night. I went and relieved the guard when my turn came and then came to my tent and slept until morning. I was relieved after retreat tonight, and went to the theatre without a pass. The plays were “Honeymoon” and “Kiss in the Dark”.

Sat. 3rd.    We were routed early and come to find out we were to be reviewed by Salman [sic] P. Chase. We formed in line (all the troops here) on Government Street. We were on the extreme left. Two miles out from camp, we then marched in review before Chase at the Battle House. Oh, how hot and dusty. We had to clean up for inspection this p.m. and drill.

Sun. 4th.     Oh, what a scorcher it has been today. Impossi­ble to keep cool. We had inspection in the forenoon. The rest of the day lay still eating ice-cream,etc. went out and spent the evening.

Mon. 5th.     Nothing but lie in our tents and keep cool. The of­ficers have been trying to find four men in the company who will accept of corporal berth. I am on stable guard tonight. I went to the theatre. The plays were “East Lynne” and “Married Rake”.

Tues. 6th.     Being on stable guard I did not have to drill, but lay in my tent. I was so sleepy when I returned to camp last night I could hardly keep my eyes open on guard, but got to sleep. I do not feel much better tonight, having been out to the Joskins.

Wed. 7th.     We had to go out to the three mile creek to water this morning, but finding it so far went to our old place tonight. A mail came. Oh, what a hot day, and Jimmy Leggs must drill the regiment in the manuel [sic] this afternoon.

Thurs. 8th.     There has been a little more breeze today. We had the half hour drill. We only water our horses twice a day, morn, and eve., which saves a great deal of riding in the heat.

Fri. 9th.     No drills today. Marching orders have come. We are to report to General Guerson at New Orleans. I paid a farewell visit to the Joskins, and soon must bid farewell to this city with its handsome women and go again to the mud of Louisiana.

Sat. 10th.     We are still in Mobile. We had our tents all struck when orders came to go into camp again. I was de­tailed soon after for orderly at General Granger’s head­quarters, and have been running all day. I went to Willis and Thompson’s Minstrels this eve.

Sun. 11th.     I undertook to sleep in one of the Battle House cannonbuses [sic], but, whew, how hot it was, and mosquitoes. It reminded one of Fort Jackson. I got very little sleep I was kept running today until 3 p.m., when the relief came. I went out visiting.

Mon. 12th.     Nothing doing. We had our eve. drill. We are to report to General Smith for duty.

Tues. 13th.     Nothing doing. Oh, how dull it is. I can hardly find anything to busy myself with          daytimes, but evenings I go out and have a very pleasant time.

Wed.   14th.     I took a tramp down to visit Tom Jones this eve. We have nothing to do daytimes, I have got so I do not pretent [sic] to be at evening roll call.

Thurs. 15th.     Still another evening out. I visited Mrs. Oakes this eve, and made the acquaintance of Alonzo Redding (late 1st Lieutenant in the C. S. army)

Fri. 16th.     We worked most of the day remodelling [sic] our shanty. This eve I went down to Mrs. Charplins. I was on first relief, stable guard, but even that did not keep me in.

Sat. 17th.     I visited down to Tom Jones’ and had a gay old time. Oh, what hot weather we are having.

Sun. 18th.     We had company inspection this p.m. and after that I left camp and took dinner and supper out. I had just a gay old time. We had an ice-cream frolic in the after­noon. I have just returned.

Mon. 19th.    A mail came. News of the death of another of our comrades, John Glenn.

Tues. 20th.     I have been sick with the headache all day, but this evening I went down to Lizzie Cameron’s and had a pleasant time.

Wed. 21st.     I was detailed with twenty-seven others and formed in line, when we had orders to get three days’ rations and forage, and at five p.m. we started crossing the ferry, and after going a short distance camped, having made eleven miles.

Thurs. 22nd.     We started about an hour after sunrise, tugging along until most noon, when we stopped to rest through the heat of the day at Cedar Creek, crossing on Old Mother Hazzards ferry. About three o’clock we started and traveled until dark, making thirty-two miles.

Fri. 23rd.     We started early, reaching Natchitoches Bluffs on the Tim Bigby [sic: Tombigbee] river about ten a.m., where we staid [sic] until two p.m., when we started back reaching Cedar Creek at dark, making twenty-seven miles travel today. After getting to camp, Richmond and I started for the U. S. Arsenal, in the dark, and got something to eat.

Sat. 24th.     We started early stopping to rest about two hours, and reached camp at five this p.m., riding up Government Street in a heavy shower at a gallop, making thirty miles today. In the forenoon we ran onto Lieutenant Levetts’ squad that left camp on the same day we did, only in the morning early with only two days’ rations.

Sun. 25th.     We had company inspection. I took out Simon’s gun and equipments, he being on stable guard, and mine were dirty. I received a letter. Then I got a pass until midnight and went to Tom Jones’ and here I am, and going to stay all night.

Mon. 26th.     It has been very hot. We made additions to our house, and we had drill at eve.

Tues. 27th.     I am on orderly at brigade headquarters, and have had a very easy time, being allowed to go to the quarters at sundown.

Wed. 28th.     I was relieved from orderly at nine a.m. and returned to camp, cleaned up my gun and equipments. We had our evening drill.

Thurs. 29th.     I am detailed for clerk at the provost marshal’s office, and went down and reported at noon. I do not like the job, and shall return to the company the first opportunity. Marching orders have come.

Fri. 30th.      I went down to the office and told Captain Jackson I wanted my papers to return to my regiment. He finally gave it to me. I then went down on the steamer Virginia to see Len. Redding, and staid [sic] until most noon, taking dinner. Len gave me the sabre he has carried through the war to remember him by. This evening I went out and had a pleasant time.

July ’65.

Sat. 1st.     Still we remain in Mobile. A mail came. I was not out of bed this morning when the letters were brought to me. I have been sick with the diarrhoea all day, but feel better tonight.

Sun. 2nd.     We had company inspection this morning. I wrote to Henry this afternoon, and this evening I have been out visiting, and took supper out. Who cares, as long as I get plenty to eat, how often I am absent from roll call, I dont.

Mon. 3rd.     I went down to the Assistant Adjutant General’s and got detailed as clerk. I staid [sic] there all day, learn­ing the ropes, and tonight I returned to camp, bringing the order for my detail with me.

Tues. 4th.     I came to the office early and after turning in my horse, gun and equipments, Capt. Speed, A.A.G. told me I might have the afternoon to myself. This evening we have been firing rockets here where I am. The house was illuminated in great style until eleven o’clock this eve.

Wed. 5th.     I have had nothing to do but sit around and take things cool as possible. It has been a very hot day, but a shower this evening cooled the air considerably..

Thurs. 6th.     The Captain went to Fort Gaines early this morning, and not returning until late this evening I have had nothing to do all day except write a few receipts for dispatches that came. General Canby arrived here tonight

Fri. 7th.    General Canby being here has made busy work all day.  I feel somewhat tired tonight, but I went up to Tom Jones’ and spent the evening. Received letters.

Sat. 8th.     Major General Canby left this morning for New Orleans I have had very little to do but have occupied my time reading “My Courtship and its Consequences” by Wikoff. In fact most I do here is to read, as there is a good selection of books in the library.

Sun. 9th.     Captain Speed gave me a liberty day and I have improved it. I took dinner at Tom Jones’ and tea at John Charpin’s. A fire broke out and I put for it. It proved to be a large store.

Mon. 10th.     I had not got asleep when the alarm sounded again.  I waited until the 6th came along and went down, but the fire was extinguished before we got there. I feel just about used up. Slept this p.m. all the time.

Tues. 11th.     I do not feel much better today, and have had considerable writing to do, copying charges and specifications versus Captain D. P. Ballard, 23rd. [BLANK] because he insulted his superior officer of the negro regi­ment, and in writing other orders and dispatches.

Wed. 12th.     I have had to write most all day and feel rather tired. I think I will retire early. We had a slight shower this afternoon, which cooled the air some. I received letters.

Thurs. 13th.     Writing most all day. Trouble with the bloody flux. I can hardly move.

Fri. 14th.     I have done nothing all day. I applied to be return­ed to our company, and wrote a letter.

Sat. 15th.     Very little has been doing today. I have been reading to pass the time.

Sun. 16th.     I went off early this morning and went up where Butcher stays and we took a couple of horses and rode up to the company, where we staid awhile, and then I went to Tom Jones’ and took tea, and made an evening visit elsewhere.

Mon. 17th.     I have been sick all day and could hardly get around. Received a letter.

Tues. 18th.     I have had to lie abed all day.

Wed. 10th.     I went up to see the Doctor, then up to the company, but had not strength to reach the office, and went down to Mrs. Charpin’s and went to bed. She made me some toast and a cup of tea, and after sundown I came home.

Thurs. 20th.     Captain Speed gave me an order to return to the company. I am going to wait until they move. I was abed all day.

Fri. 21st.     I feel no better, but kept my bed. Received a shirt from home.

Sat. 22nd.     I went and joined the company at the La Fayette House, and made my bed and turned in. Received letter.

Sun. 23rd.     Excused from duty. I feel some better tonight. Tom Jones came to see me.

Mon. 224th.     I rode Stevens’ horse up to Tom’s and had a short visit.

Tues. 25th.     We got some stuff for mosquito bar and had it made at Mrs. Jones’. I am still excused from duty. Brewer left.

Wed. 28th.     Excused from duty, and feel worse.

Thurs.27th.     Excused from duty. I do not feel much better.

Fri. 28th.     I feel somewhat better today. Excused.

Sat. 29th.     Light duty. I went up to John Charpin’s and staid [sic] during the afternoon, and to supper. Received a letter.

Sun. 30th.     I went up to Tom Jones’ this a.m. and staid [sic] to dinner, and returned to camp. Light duty.

Mon. 31st.     Returned to duty. I went up to John Charpin’s and found Russin and Jim Jones there and had a gay old time. Received two shirts from home, and wrote a letter.

August ’65

Tues. 1st.     I have staid [sic] in my bunk most of the time. Nothing doing.

Wed. 2nd.     I received a letter. I am on stable guard. I drew horse, gun and everything complete.

Thurs.3rd.     I laid in the stable all the forenoon and slept in the afternoon at the quarters.

Fri. 4th.     Nothing very alarming has occurred today. The most one wants to do is to keep cool.

Sat. 5th.     I am on patrol today and I find it is hot work riding in the sun.

Sun. 6th.     Everything was quiet during the night. The relief came about ten a.m. After resting a while in the quarter I went up to Tom Jones and spent the evening.

Mon. 7th.     One year today I arrived home on furlough. Wrote home.

Tues. 8th.     I am on patrol again, but staid [sic] most of the time down to Mrs. Charpins.

Wed. 9th.     I received another shirt and my album from home, also letter. I went to Tom Jones and staid [sic] during the afternoon.

Thurs. 10th.     I have felt pretty hard all day, and laid abed, except while taking care of my horse.

Fri. 11th.     I am on patrol, and have staid [sic] at Tom Jones’ most of the time.

Sat. 12th.      I came to the quarters at three this a.m., and turned in and did not wake up until ten a.m. I then cleaned up for inspection, and went up to John Charpin’s.

Sun. 13th.     We had inspection in the forenoon, then I lay down and slept until about three o’clock, when a fire broke out. After the fire was over I went out and spent the evening.

Mon. 14th.     I am on patrol, but have not been on the beat at all, it was so hot. When my turn came I staid [sic] at the quarters all the p.m.

Tues. 15th.     I did not dress until about four o’clock this p.m. Wrote home, and took a walk this evening.

Wed. 16th.     It is so hot all we can do is get down to the barn twice a day. I have kept pretty quiet.

Thurs. 17th.    I am on patrol, and while on from seven until eleven this p.m.  I staid [sic] away. Everything is quiet and too hot to ride in the sun.

Fri. 18th.     After getting relieved at eleven last night I came to the quarters and went to bed, and did not go back. We are beginning to have letter [sic?] cooler nights, so there is some chance of getting some sleep.

Sat. 19th.     I have kept pretty quiet today, not even cleaning my gun for inspection. I went to Mrs. Charpin’s and staid [sic] about an hour this p.m.

Sun. 20th.     I am on patrol, but have not staid [sic] at the post more than two hours all day. I was down to Tom Jones’ all the evening. I wrote two letters.

Mon. 21st.    Instead of patroling when my turn came, I came to camp and went to bed and did not get up until nine this a.m. I have staid [sic] in the quarters most of the time.

Tues. 22nd.     John Brewster committed suicide at ten this a.m., or nearly that. He took a revolver and stepped out in the street saying “I die for my country”, and fired, the ball entering his head just over the right eye. He is still alive. Reported the order for our muster out has come.

Wed. 23rd.     John Brewster died at ten last night and was buried this p.m. I am on patrol, but have come to the quarters for the night, and did not do any duty during the day.

Thurs. 24th.     Nothing has been going on. One must keep cool and let his hair grow.

Fri. 25th.     I lay around the quarters all the forenoon and Sergeant Oakes wanted me to go with him to the Mount Vernon Arsenal. We started at half after one and reached here just at dark. It rained most of the time, but the boys gave us some dry clothes.

Sat. 26th.     I have laid abed most all day as it was rainy until towards night, when I looked around the premises.

Sun. 27th.     We started from the Arsenal at half past four this a.m. and arrived here before nine a.m. — a distance of thirty miles. I lay down and took a snooze, then went out and staid [sic] this evening.

Mon. 28th.     We turned in our horses and horse equipments this forenoon, and the rest of the day stood still.

Tues. 29th.     I cleaned up my gun in the forenoon expecting to carry it home, but this afternoon I put in my name to be discharged here. I have staid [sic] in the quarters all day.

Wed. 30th.     Very little is going on. I went up to Tom’s and staid [sic] this eve.

Thurs. 31st.     We were mustered this a.m., and this p.m. the men that are to be discharged here turned in their guns and equipments. I am once more disarmed.

September ‘ 65.

Fri 1st     I had the cholera morbus last night and have had to lie abed all day.

Sat 2nd.    I turned in the last Government property, a half shelters tent. I am all ready now for my papers, and I will bid them farewell.

Sun 3rd.     It has been rainy most all day. I went up to this evening. The rest of the time was passed same as every other day in eating and sleeping. I wrote a letter.

Mon. 4th    We have done most everything to pass away the day, lounging around the Park.

Tues 5th.     Up in the Park all the forenoon, abed all the afternoon.

Wed. 6th.    One year today our furlough expired. Today I lay in the Park most of the time and went up to Charpin’s to supper and staid during this evening.

Thurs. 7th      In the Park between showers, and running around the levee